What are you going to write about?
These are questions you’ll frequently hear when starting a blog. But seriously what are you going to write about?
Now you’ll also hear, ‘Your idea needs to be unique’.
Quite frankly that’s BS. The world is built on iterations. You just need to be better.
So what are some blog ideas you could embrace for your new blog? Here’s an almost exhaustive list of some of the best blog ideas that quickly came to mind.
101 Blog Ideas for your new blog
- Working on a Farm – What’s it really like to live on a farm? City folk would want to know.
- Building a Boat – Building a boat by hand takes a lot of time. What are the tricks and traps of building a boat.
- Build a House – Similarly building a house takes time. What are the lessons learned?
- Non-Profit Cause – Blog about your favorite non-profit. Perhaps you are a volunteer and can show others what volunteer work is really like. The good and the bad.
- Dealing with Grief – People lose loved ones all the time. Teach people how to cope with grief or share a personal experience you’re having dealing with grief.
- Moving Out of Home – Leaving home is an adventure. What’s the upside, what’s the downside. Share your experiences so those about to leave the nest, know what’s coming. This is a great blog idea for teenagers.
- Cake Decorating – Cake Blogs are popular, but perhaps you have special tips and tricks to share.
- Opinion Blog – If you’ve always got an opinion then share it on your blog.
- Fairytales and Fantasies – Do you love fairytales and fantasies, then write about it because other people do too.
- Dealing with ADHD – Do you have ADHD or know someone close to you that does. Maybe you know a few things you can share on this topic.
- Lifestyle blog – Lifestyle blogs are popular because they’re easy to write and everyone has a life don’t they. Maybe your’s is more interesting.
Anime Blog – Anime is so cool, why wouldn’t you create an Anime Blog.
- Book Club – Choose a niche you’re passionate about and create a book club. This blog idea also lends itself well to affiliate linking to the books you review or recommend.
- Classic Cars – Classic cars will always be popular. Niche it down into your favourite era for maximum effect.
- Health and Fitness – This is a very popular blog idea, but this doesn’t mean you can’t do it better.
- Being Vegan – What’s it like being a vegan? How do you source your food, is there a better way?
- Going Raw – Raw food living isn’t a fad, it’s a lifestyle. Other people may want to read about it before taking the leap themselves. People like Kristina have already leapt in.
- Copywriting – Are you a copywriter? Can you share your skills with other?
- Dating Tips – We’re all dating tragics at some stage of our lives. Can you find the secret sauce that get’s two people together.
- Minimal Impact – Maybe you want to leave a small footprint on this earth. Can you also show others how to do this?
- Massive Impact – Can you make something that impacts a billion lives. Perhaps it starts with an idea and a blog.
- Language Learning – Travelling is a popular past time and sometimes language is a barrier. Maybe you teach others how to speak your native tongue.
- DIY Projects – This is a massive opportunity, so you’ll want to niche it down so you catch the attention of the true fanatics.
- Eco-Tourism – Again this is a minimal impact opportunity. What are some of the best places to visit. Perhaps you even do reviews of the various eco-tourism opportunities. This is also a great blog idea for businesses looking to promote their industry.
- Building mobile apps – Mobile apps are big, but not everyone knows how to build them. Can you teach them?
- Car Maintenace – Grab your car manual and turn those words into plain English. You can also provide practical advice to car owners who may know nothing about cars.
- Making Money Online – Huge opportunity in this space, but you need to do something better than the people who have gone before you. It’s a highly competitive niche.
- Raising Children as a Single Parent – Raising children with two parents is hard enough so this blog idea focusses on helping the single parent.
- Frugal Living – Frugality is about living smart and not cheap. It’s a lifestyle and one that plenty of people blog about. What are your favourite frugal living tips?
- Surfing Adventures – Maybe you just blog about your surfing adventures, and the places where to catch the best waves.
Travelling the World – Going on a long holiday? Then start a blog before you go and journal your experience.
- Visiting the Most Interesting Places – Perhaps you only visit the most interesting places in the world. Where are they because we want to hear about them.
- Good Life Lessons – Sometimes we just need basic life hacking. You’re already an expert to the people younger than you.
- A Sporting Journey – Are you dreaming big and want to achieve greatness in the sporting arena? It’ll make for a fascinating story. Write about it as you go, sharing lessons along the way.
- Becoming a Master – What does it take to be a master at something? Are you on a journey towards mastering a skill? Share it.
- Writing a Book – What’s the process of writing a book? Can you use a blog to test your storyline before it’s finished?
- Making e-Books – Perhaps you just like to create e-books and know the quickest and easiest way to do this. Blog about it.
- Learning an Instrument – Learning an instrument is easy, mastering it is difficult. What can we learn from your journey?
- Gaming Blog – e-games are massive right now. Do you have special tricks and tips you can share? Perhaps you are a pro-gamer and want to share your experiences.
- Interior Design – If you’ve got a house then you’ve probably looked for interior design tips on the Internet. So be the blogger that people turn to for their interior design knowledge. There is plenty to talk about in this blog idea.
- Rapid Learning – Skills acquisition is highly transferable. Tim Ferriss makes a living from it.
- Blog about Blogging – This one is true to my heart, but there is always room for more. It’s a competitive niche, but you might be able to bring in a new perspective. That’s what I try to do.
- Learn to Paint – Maybe you’ve always wanted to be a painter and have finally listened to that voice in your head to learn how. Take us on your journey.
- Learn to Draw – Similary you might be interested in drawing or are you already able to teach people some basic techniques.
- Video Game Development – Playing video games is one thing, but making them is a completely different story. Take your readers through the process of building a video game, although you may want to delay the posts so you can still enjoy a competitive advantage.
- Home Brewing Secrets – Home brewing has a cult following around the world and is actually quite an art form. Take advantage of this niche and provide detailed information on how you get into Home Brewing.
- Become a Stoic – This one is totally out of left field and one that’s starting to gain a little momentum. Stoicism has a path and all paths are worthy of conversation.
- Animal Rescues – Perhaps you want to blog about injured or rescued animals. Giving a voice to something that has none is a noble thing to do.
- Caring for Pets – Maybe you’re a pet person and want to share information relating to owning a new pet.
Yoga Blog – With all the positions in Yoga you’d almost have an endless supply of content here. It’s a popular topic, but you can turn this niche upside down.
- Mediation Blog – Are you into Meditation in a big way? Then blog about it and share your knowledge with others.
- Craft Blog – Sewing, scrapbooking knitting and other craft skills can be shared via a blog platform.
- Underground Cinema Blog – The underground cinema movement is probably big in your city, you’re just not aware of it yet. Discover it and then blog about it.
- Movie Reviews – Yay! for movies. But which ones should I watch when my time is limited. Sift through the chaff and your audience will appreciate it.
- Xbox Gaming – Boom! Play on the Xbox all night and build your tribe of followers during the day.
- Playstation Gaming – Who plays Xbox anyway, a Playstation gaming blog would work much better don’t you think?
- Electronics – There are so many blog ideas you can choose from if you’re into electronics. Choose one and go deep providing awesome content for your readers.
- A Zumba Life – Zumba is worth blogging about, but this could as easily be pilates. Blogilates has already paved the way.
- Real Estate Investing – Hundreds and thousands of houses are bought and sold every day. What are some of the tips you need to be a successful home buyer or seller for that matter. You can go local with this blog as there should still be enough interest.
- Cleaning House – The long lost art of cleaning a house with a handful of cleaning products. Or maybe you know how to make your own and get out those tough stains.
- Famous Quotes – Yep, this could be the basis for a blog, because people love to share good quotes on a daily basis. You could even find great quotes that aren’t so famous.
- Exploring Ocean Life – Before we hop over to another planet maybe we should finish exploring the deeps of the ocean first. It’s the last unexplored frontier on earth. Get your feet wet on this blog idea.
- Occupational Therapy – Surely there’s some juice to explore in occupational therapy. Do you have these skills to share?
- News Curator – If you can’t make the news then put together a curated version for your readers and save them time.
- Motorcycle Maintenance – Motorbikes are popular, but they aren’t as easy to fix as cars, are they? What are some of the basic tips for a new motorbike owner? Safety first?
Kiting Blog – Who didn’t enjoy flying a kite when they were young. Oh, hang on people still do it when they get older, it’s just a little more extreme.
- Self-Improvement Blog – If you’re not growing, you’re dying or that’s how the quote goes. We could all do with some self-improvement tips that actually work.
- Gardening Blog – You don’t need to be retired to start a gardening blog. Teach people the basics of getting a garden started. Or maybe you have an interest in community gardens, or gorilla gardening.
- Fashion Blog – What a great excuse for buying new fashion outfits and starting a fashion blog. There are plenty of niches you can focus on.
- Makeup Blog – No not the kiss and makeup blog, but rather the stuff you wear to make yourself pretty. Blog about it.
- Training for a Marathon – What sort of effort does it take to be a marathon runner? Blogging about your times, nutrition and events will keep you busy.
- Training for a Triathlon – Or perhaps you like multi-discipline events like triathlons. These types of activities all have a learning curve so teach the readers who are lower on this curve than you.
- Urban Farming – This may also come under the gorilla gardening niche, but you can still grow produce in cities. It’s just a little different isn’t it?
- Graffiti Tags – What if your passion was to photograph and document graffiti tags from your local area. Perhaps you could expand it to your state or country. Why not the world. A good blog idea usually starts with your passion and then gets tweaked by your imagination.
- Eating Disorders – If you can help just one person with an eating disorder, then it’s worth blogging about.
- Action Photography – There are plenty of photography websites on the Internet, but maybe you specialise in action photography. The world needs to be documented.
- Life Drawing – Maybe you are the artist or perhaps you are the model with some interesting stories to share.
- Urban Cycling – If you’re living in a big city I’m sure there is an active bike movement that needs a voice.
- Life of a Bike Messenger – What’s not interesting about being a bike messenger. But how do you start?
- Wine Critic – Drink wine, give it a score out of ten and write about it, sounds like a great blog idea to me. How about you?
- Food Critic – Maybe you don’t drink but love food or visiting restaurants. There is always room for another food critic if this is your passion.
- Tiny Homes – I love tiny homes because they’re so small and cute. Well, actually I love them because they allow you to live life with a smaller footprint. But how do you build one? Blog about it.
- Being poor, living rich – Even if you don’t have much money you can still help others with your words. Show people how when living with very little money you can still live a rich life.
- Alternative health – Anything alternative is worth talking about, when so much preventative medicine is pushed down our throats. What are some of the healthier alternatives?
Bee Keeping – There is plenty to talk about on this subject, but what if you’re an urban beekeeper. What’s the narrative then?
- Street Talk – Just get out and talk to people and document their stories on your blog.
- Complete your Bucket List – Is it time to complete your bucket list? Then take us on your journey.
- Electronic Music – The EDM (Electronic Dance Music) scene is growing across the globe, are you prepared to document this movement?
- Tropical Fish – What type of fish do you keep. How do you maintain them, breed them and even sell them? You can’t just own a tropical fish without some research can you? Start a blog and teach others.
- Living on a Deserted Island – Go and find a deserted island and blog about your experiences. I’m sure no two days would be the same. Combine this with a video blog and share with the world when you get back.
- Best Airline Food – Which airline has the best food? If you travel a lot I bet you already know this answer. You can become the food critic of the air.
- Golf Adventures – Maybe you just love golf so much you can’t help but play around the world. Yes, you can blog about that too. Not all of us get to travel to exotic places to play golf.
- Keep on Trucking – Maybe you’re passionate about driving trucks and need a way to offload all your ideas you get whilst driving. I recently discovered this is a really popular niche.
- Club Selection – No not nightclubs but rather golf club selection. Did you know there is a perfect club for every situation on a golf course? If you did then share this knowledge and other golfing tips.
- Lego Collector – Lego has recently moved back to the number one toy in the world. You might be surprised to know it’s mainly the Adult Lego fans that made it so. I’m sure you’d find a few things to blog about with lego.
- Public Speaking – Organisations like the Toastmasters exist, but can you teach people the art of public speaking from the comfort of their own home. Perhaps Toastmasters is too confronting for the beginner.
- Fishing – Fishing, Boating, Camping. There’s more to fishing that actually catching fish isn’t there. Maybe you know some great fishing spots and stories, so blog about it.
- Mountain Bike Adventures – Maybe you just like getting out into nature with your bike. You can even blog about the trails you ride and equipment you use.
- Hiking – Speaking of getting back to nature. When I hike, my mind is still enough to think of another 101 blog ideas. What can you blog about?
- Stand up Paddling – Seriously this is a thing now. Oh you knew about that, then start a blog about it.
- Skydiving – What are you thinking about when you jump out of a plane? If you can translate that feeling into words then your should be writing about it for the more risk adverse who will never experience that sensation.
- Building an Ultralight – Yep you can build an ultralight from scratch, and document this process along the way.
- Dog Training – If you’ve got some great tips (that work) about training a dog then please start a blog and share them.
- Pigeon Training– Now I’m just assuming you can train a pigeon. But how do you do this? Sounds like a niche blog idea to me.
Bird Watching – Yes, you can share your tips and tricks for watching birds. It’s likely you’ve got plenty to share on this topic so why not share it on a blog.
- Spelunking – A bet there are plenty of stories your can share when you go exploring in caves. Describe what you see.
- Sailing – Some bloggers go sailing and document their journey along the way. There isn’t much else to do on a boat is there?
- Life on an Oil Rig – Now this a real niche topic and you probably have some alone time to write on a blog. People wanting to get work on an oil rig might be interested in what you have to say.
- Life in the Mines – Similarly working in the mines, can offer a varied experience and your knowledge transfer to the less experienced is warranted.
- Go on an Adventure – Make up an adventure every weekend and blog about it.
- Stock Market Investing – We’re already trying to get ahead in this world, so maybe you know a little more about the stock market than the rest of us.
- Travel Hacking – Travel Hacking is a way to get more travel for less money. Usually involving maximising frequent flyer point opportunities. Another one of the great blog ideas for students.
So what are you going to do with these ideas?
Are you ready to start a blog?
Here’s my no-nonsense guide on Starting a Blog.
Now this isn’t an exhaustive list, but rather just a few ideas to get your creative juices flowing. Maybe you’ve got more unique ideas to share, but the important thing to keep in mind is you need to blog about something you are passionate about.
How can you tell if you are passionate?
Try writing the first 50 blog headlines for your blog posts. I can assure you passionate people can find many more.
Here’s an example of some blog headlines for farming:-
- 4 Common Misconceptions About Farming
- 5 Tools Everyone In The Farming Industry Should Be Using
- 10 Quick Tips About Farming
- What Will Farming Be Like In 20 Years?
- 10 Things Your Competitors Can Teach You About Farming
But replacing the term ‘Farming’ with your blog topic will also work.
Now everyone wants to know are these the blog ideas that make money? Sure they are if you endeavour to build your tribe and are prepared for a long game. Kevin Kelly suggests we only need to 1000 true fans to have a successful business.
Do you think you’ll be able to find just 1000 people that resonate with your message in a sea of Billions of Internet users?
Sure you will.
You just need to get started.
So lets recap.
#1 – Choose a Blog Topic from one of these blog ideas
#2 – Find some cool blog name ideas
#3 – Just start Building a Blog
Good Luck and enjoy the journey!
If you have questions then please leave them in the comments below and I’ll get back to you as soon as humanly possible. And please share my work because I spend hours creating these blog posts with the aim of trying to impact the life of many and not just a few.